The Willard Chapel in Auburn NY is a place that comes with a great history, and a magnificent story to be told. Not only does it have a lot of history, but it is one of the only handcrafted Tiffany designed religion interior known to exist in the world! If you have heard of the Tiffany Chapel, this is it! If you haven’t taken a trip to see the awe-inspiring Willard Memorial Chapel, here is the history of Willard Memorial Chapel to get you interested!
The History of Willard Chapel in Auburn NY – The Tiffany Chapel
I will be honest I had heard of The Tiffany Church but had no idea it was right here in the Finger Lakes area on New York. Once I realized that I was very excited to see it!
What is the Willard Memorial Chapel?
The Willard Memorial Chapel and its adjoining building were once part of the Auburn Theological Seminary. This seminary prepared pastors and missionaries to travel around the world to spread the good news of God. In January 1818, the proposal to make a Seminary, that would be known as the Willard Memorial Chapel, was made.
Related: Visiting New Hope Mills Auburn NY
The Grand Entrance
Although it was proposed in 1818, another building was erected before the Willard Memorial Chapel. But the building built in place was destroyed. In 1892-1894, the Willard Chapel was built and furnished. Its grand entrance was in the loving memory of Dr. Sylvester Willard and his wife by their daughters.
All its Glory
The Willard Chapel in Auburn NY is one of the most glorious designs you could ever see. The entire interior of the Chapel was designed and handcrafted completely by Tiffany Glass and Decorating. This is the only Chapel that has been completely unaltered and completed designed by Tiffany interior in the world, hence why it gets the nickname of the Tiffany Chapel.
Everything in the church was made by the Tiffany Glass Company. The Stained glass, the pews, the walls, the floor tiles. Every except the Organ at the front of the church, which still works today.
What it is Today
Today, The Willard Memorial Chapel is on the State and National Registry of Historic Places. It is now a community center of social and cultural activity. It is also known as a National Historic Landmark. This Tiffany treasure is used as:
- A wedding venue: Some of the most picturesque weddings happen at the Willard Memorial Chapel. And, as a gift to its bride and groom, they provide a complimentary list of photographers, videographers, Limo companies, jewelers, florists and designers, and musical professionals.
- A community center: People around the community can take time to come and visit a part of history daily.
- An office complex: The Willard Memorial makes for a quiet place to get things done for work. It is also a great place to have a meeting.
- A concert hall: There are many events hosted including Peter Mack, Noon at Tiffany’s, Tiffany concert series, and more.
- A tourist destination: You can see this beautiful piece of history, Tuesday through Friday for only $8 per person.
If you haven’t taken a look at this glorious chapel, you can get more information through phone: (315)252-0339 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have you seen the Willard Chapel in Auburn NY aka The Tiffany Chapel? What was your favorite experience? Share in the comments below!
I am a Wife, mom to 4 kids, homeschool mom, blogger, social media junkie, gypsy soul, and full time RVer, and Roadschool Family!
We have been on the road since August 2015, and loving travel and seeing new things! I am sharing our journey along the way!
Click here to learn more about starting a blog.
Latest posts by Danielle (see all)
- Best Free Camping Sites in the USA - April 16, 2019
- Best Asheville Places To Eat In A Weekend – Asheville Foodie Guide - February 24, 2019
- 21 Free Things to do in Hollywood CA - February 23, 2019